Vice President, Engineering
PTI Technologies – Oxnard, CA
$153,750 – $256,250 a year
The VP of Engineering is an executive-level position and member of the Senior Management team with responsibility for contributing to the technology vision, engineering strategic direction, and operational oversight of PTI. The position is to provide Technology Leadership in support of the achievement of the company’s short and long-term performance objectives, customer commitments, and employee development needs. This is to be achieved by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate managers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop and maintain a technical vision and strategy for the company.
- Work with stakeholders to gather technical requirements and identify technology gaps.
- Own and champion PTI’s technology roadmaps to support key offerings.
- Evaluate and make recommendations on complementary businesses or technologies that PTI could access through partnership or acquisition.
- Identify and defend against disruptive technologies.
- Identify opportunities for intellectual property development and production.
- Identify programmatic and/or technology-related risks and mitigations.
- Inspire and drive innovation across PTI.
- Establishes owns and champion current and long-range objectives, plans, and policies which ensure PTI’s technology and engineering vision and strategy align with and support the overall company mission, vision and business objectives.
- Ensure that PTI is positioned to deliver its strategy.
- Ensure all programs are resourced appropriately.
- Hire and supervise subject matter experts critical to the execution of the portfolio.
- Ensure PTI has the appropriate engineering resources, skills, processes, tools, and training.
- Lead key engineering programs as required to ensure that time and cost performance requirements are met.
- Dispenses advice, guidance, direction, and authorization to carry out major plans and procedures, consistent with established policies.
- Works with new business development to discern the competitiveness of new technologies.
- Reviews the operating results of the organization compare them to best-in-class objectives and take steps to ensure that appropriate measures are taken to correct and/or improve results.
- Creates technical budgets, allocates resources, and determines the schedule of product releases or project deadlines.
- Plans and directs all investigations and negotiations pertaining to technical aspects of mergers, joint ventures, acquisition of businesses, or sales of major assets.
- Establishes and maintains an effective system of communications throughout the organization.
- Establishes relationships with key customers, shareholders, universities and the public.
- Represent PTI at technical conferences and select tradeshows.
- Provide mentoring, guidance, and performance assessment of engineering leadership.
- Strategic Mindset – able to anticipate future trends and implications accurately. Readily puts forward future scenarios. Articulates a credible picture and vision of possibilities that create sustainable value. Creates competitive and breakthrough strategies that show a clear connection between vision and action.
- Customer Focus – gains insight into customer needs. Identifies opportunities that benefit the customer. Builds and delivers solutions that meet customer expectations. Establishes and maintains effective customer relationships.
- Decision Quality – makes sound decisions, even in the absence of complete information. Relies on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment when making decisions. Considers all relevant factors and uses appropriate decision-making criteria and principles. Recognizes when a quick 80% solution will suffice.
- Cultivates Innovation – comes up with useful ideas that are new, better or unique. Introduces new ways of looking at problems. Can take a creative idea and put it into practice. Encourages diverse thinking to promote and nurture innovation.
- Drives Results – has a strong bottom-line orientation. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Has a track record or exceeding goals successfully. Pushes self and helps others achieve results.
- Ensures Accountability – follows through on commitments and makes sure that others do the same. Acts with a clear sense of ownership. Takes personal responsibility for decisions, actions and failures. Establishes clear responsibilities and processes for monitoring work and measuring results. Designs feedback loops into work.
- Collaborates – works cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives. Represents own interests while being fair to others and their areas. Partners with others to get work done. Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments. Gains the trust and support of others.
- Develops Talent – places a high priority on developing others. Develops others through coaching, feedback, exposure and stretch assignments. Aligns employee career development goals with organizational objectives. Encourages people to accept developmental moves.
- Drives Vision and Purpose – talks about future possibilities in a positive way. Creates milestones and symbols to rally support behind the vision. Articulates the vision in a way everyone can relate to. Creates organization-wide energy and optimism for the future. Shows personal commitment to the vision.
- Builds Effective Teams – forms teams with an appropriate and diverse mix of styles, perspectives and experience. Establishes common objectives and a shared mindset. Creates a feeling of belonging and strong team morale. Shares wins and reward team efforts. Fosters open dialogue and collaboration among the team.
- Manages Ambiguity – deals comfortably with the uncertainty of change. Effectively handles risk. Can decide and act without the total picture. Is calm and productive, even when things are up in the air. Deals constructively with problems that do not have clear solutions or outcomes.
Manages subordinate directors, manager and supervisors who supervise employees in engineering functional groups, such as: Research and Development, New Product Development, Sustaining Engineering, and Engineering Services. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (BS) in a technical field such as Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics. Advanced degree preferred.
15+ years of experience in technology development (hardware); understands the issues of a manufacturing environment. Aerospace experience preferred.
- Strong engineering/systems engineering background. Knowledge of Model-Based Engineering Tools/Processes.
- Experience in leading multi-disciplined engineering teams.
- Experience working across the entire Development Lifecycle.
- Experienced in utilizing business fundamentals and financial metrics to assist in decision-making and executing market-driven decisions quickly with follow-up on action items.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Demonstrated ability in developing briefings, whitepapers, analysis, and engineering basis of estimates to support business development teams.
- Support trade studies, presentations, proposals and related activities
- Participate in risk assessment and develop mitigation strategies for complex projects.
- Familiarity with design and development with a focus on Design-to-Cost and Design-for-Manufacturability development
- Willing to communicate effectively with senior leadership and other engineering disciplines
- Primary point-of-contact with various technical customer suppliers and sub-contractors, with the expectation of acting independently on technical matters.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead collaborative groups with the ability to provide clear, concise, and candid feedback.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or styles. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, modern algebra, and advanced statistical theory. Ability to work with concepts such as limits, rings, quadratic and differential equations, and proofs of theorems.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- 401K Matching (3%)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance
- Paid Personal and Sick Time (PTO)
- Vacation Time
- Holiday Pay
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
Submit Resume Here by Selecting Human Resources Department
PTI Technologies is a world leader in highly-reliable filtration and fluid control equipment and subsystems and miniature CAD/PAD devices. Our product portfolio, used in hydraulics, fuel, thermal management, lubrication, bleed air, environmental air/cabin air, water systems, ejection seats, fire suppression, escape slides, missiles and munitions, is a direct result of our extensive engineering design experience and customer obsession. PTI provides innovative, value-added solutions for a full range of mission, flight and life-critical operations across the Aerospace and Defense markets.