Machine Shop Manager
PTI Technologies – Oxnard, CA
$93,750 – $156,250 a year
Responsible for the management of the PTI Machine shops (Oxnard, Tijuana Mexico), and Sheet Metal Stamping Shop (Oxnard). The position is accountable for delivery, performance, manufacturing costs, product conformance and departmental budget performance by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides supervision for an organization that includes Shop supervisors or managers, machinists, leads, administrative, clerical, planning, programming, tooling and calibration.
- Develops and administers labor and overhead expense budgets for the machine shops. Makes recommendations regarding staffing based on backlog and delivery schedules.
- Manages machine shop workload to maintain level loading and minimize overtime.
- Reviews MRP requirements for component parts manufactured in the machine shop
- Works with Buyers and Planners to support level-loading with materials and processes
- Reviews time standards and makes necessary adjustments to manufacturing work instructions in MRP/ASCP database.
- Works with Manufacturing Engineering and Programmers to develop manufacturing plans and work instructions as required.
- Supports/Schedules regular maintenance and repair of all equipment in the department.
- Studies production schedules and estimates worker-hour requirements for completion of job assignments.
- Recommends/Implements Machinery and labor needs to meet schedules for current production and future growth
- Interprets company policies for workers and enforces safety regulations.
- Interprets specifications, blueprints, and job orders to workers, and assigns duties.
- Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase the efficiency of the shop, department, or work crew.
- Analyzes and resolves work problems, or assists workers in solving work problems.
- Initiates or suggests plans to motivate workers to achieve work goals.
- Maintains time and production records.
- Confers with other Managers/Supervisors and Leads to coordinate activities of individual departments.
- Ability to perform activities of workers supervised.
Directly supervises shop supervisors and machinists in all PTI machine shops. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
- Design – Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem-Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things. Maintains working relationships with others.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Ability to write technical documents to support machine shop functions; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services.; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost-saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity – Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethics; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in a timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) or equivalent from a four-year College or Technical/Vocational School; and 15 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of an organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts, percentages, area, circumference and volume.
Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office software, CNC Machine Programming software (CAM) and Post Processors
Other Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of machine shop and Stamping Shop practices and techniques including the ability to set up machines, inspect and make necessary adjustments to machines and tooling as required.
- Current with technologies/industry developments and projected direction
- Familiarity with CAD/CAM programming software and 5-Axis CNC machining.
- Knowledge of Sheet-metal fabrication and related Die design and Punch Press operations
- Ability to read and interpret complex Blue Prints and tolerance controls.
- Knowledge of regulatory procedures and Processing Specifications.
- Working Knowledge of Inspection Techniques, SPC implementation and related controls.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to Loud
- 401K Matching (3%)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance
- Paid Personal and Sick Time (PTO)
- Vacation Time
- Holiday Pay
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
Submit Resume Here by Selecting Human Resources Department
PTI Technologies is a world leader in highly-reliable filtration and fluid control equipment and subsystems and miniature CAD/PAD devices. Our product portfolio, used in hydraulics, fuel, thermal management, lubrication, bleed air, environmental air/cabin air, water systems, ejection seats, fire suppression, escape slides, missiles and munitions, is a direct result of our extensive engineering design experience and customer obsession. PTI provides innovative, value-added solutions for a full range of mission, flight and life-critical operations across the Aerospace and Defense markets.