Job Title: Material Handler
Reports To: Manager, Manufacturing
FLSA Status: Hourly/Non-exempt
Job Code: J703
Salary Level: H06
Prepared By: D. Williams
Prepared Date: 11/19/98
Operates forklift, drives truck, delivers production and nonproduction material, stocks shelves, pulls kits, fills orders and maintains records and logs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Reads work order or follows oral instructions to ascertain materials or containers to be moved.
- Performs various inventory transactions on PC, including receiving, stocking, material transfers, and return to vendor transactions.
- Loads and unloads materials onto or from pallets, trays, racks, and shelves by hand. Operates UPS and FedEx on-line computer systems.
- Loads materials into vehicles and installs strapping, bracing, or padding to prevent shifting or damage in transit.
- Conveys materials from storage or work sites to designated area.
- Secures lifting attachments to materials and conveys load to destination.
- Counts, weighs, and records number of units of materials moved or handled on daily production sheet.
- Performs cycle counts to verify on-hand inventory balances.
- Drives truck to pickup and deliver parts and material from one location to another.
- Attaches identifying tags or labels to materials or marks information on cases, bales, or other containers.
- Lifts heavy objects by hand or with power hoist, and cleans work area, machines, and equipment to assist machine operators.
- Operates industrial forklift or electric hoist to assist in loading or moving materials and products
- Packages end items and components according to customers’ and written instructions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to early out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, climb or balance, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; and fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.